Dun Dun Dun...

"Uh...," Rob said, staring at the computer screen.

        "Doctor Antonius Marqea," Deb read, "Headed up the Center for Disease Control's Retroviral Mutation department for five years before resigning. No one has ever been able to interview him on the subject, all inquiries having been rejected."

        "Rob, this is very important. Have you told anyone else about your arm yet?"

        "What? No. You and Deb are the only ones that know."

        "Good. Promise me you won't tell anyone else."

        "Why?"

        "Just promise me, dammit."

        "Okay, okay! Promise."

        Larry sagged in evident relief and went and sat next to Rob. "Thanks. Look, there's already a chance that you'll disappear, I don't want you flapping your gums out there and risk it even more."

        "Flapping my gums? What are you, my mom? Look, I wasn't even going to tell you. I would've held out from Deb, but she'd know I was lying."

        "Like I wouldn't?" Larry held up a hand to stop any replies, "Sorry. This is bad, Robbie. I know Deb thinks I'm a nut for keeping track of this stuff, but anytime human experimentation pops up, people usually disappear, die, or worse."

        "Worse?" Deb shook her head, "No, forget it. I don't want to know."

        "Good." Larry got back up and paced a little, "Why don't you two give me tonight to do more digging. Maybe I can find something else. I'm not a hacker or anything, but I do know people."

        Rob nodded, "Okay. Thanks, Larry." He and Deb got up and headed for the door. "Tomorrow, then?"

        It was Larry's turn to nod. "Yeah. People I know are right quick."

        "Thank you, Larry." Deb said, as she led Rob out the door and to the elevators.

        That last put a dumb grin on Larry's face as she closed the door behind them. They didn't talk as she walked him to his apartment. Rob was clearly worried. "Hey, don't worry. Just sit back and relax. We'll figure it out."
        
        He sighed. "Yeah. I know. Still. Look, you should get back to work, okay? I'll be okay. You can check on me in the morning. I'm suddenly feeling very tired, so I'm just going to go to sleep."

        She gave him a sympathetic look and nodded. "Good. Maybe Larry'll have something tomorrow. You know, I hate to say this, but I think he's right. We should keep to the rash story."
        
        "Yeah. As it is I have a feeling people are gonna keep asking to see it." He gave a wan smile.

        Deb snorted a laugh, "Go! Bed." She gave his shoulder a light shove. "I'll check on ya before I head in tomorrow morning." When he nodded and unlocked his door, she turned and went to the elevator. "Sleep well."

        He pushed the slightly warped door open, putting his shoulder into it and waved to Deb as she got in the elevator. When they closed on her slightly worried expression, he pulled the door shut, tugging on it twice. Heaving a sigh, he trudged to bed, hoping for the second night in a row that this was all a really vivid dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...