Ghost in the House, 2

        “A blessing in disguise? I’m not sure I follow?”

        “There have been some rather disturbing rumors arising from the fringes of the Dark.” Gabriel looked worried. Which worried Gloriana in turn. She had rarely seen him look worried. Angry, yes. Worried, never. “Rumors of rebellion. Which is nothing new, except this time this has the added complication of whispers of rebellion in the Light.”

        Glory gasped, horrified at Gabriel’s words. “But that’s unthinkable!”

        The big archangel shook his head. “No. It was thought of once before, long ago. That is why the Pantheon is rent asunder. But in this Age? I do not know if these are true rumors or not. Regardless, I must find out.”

        “How? Can I help?”

        “You can. By making sure your charge is safe. If some of the rumors are true.” He shook his head. “I cannot say more until I know more. In the mean time, keep the child and her father safe.“

        She looked oddly at him. ”Her father, too? That’s new.“

        He glared, ”Do not question me on this.“ He paused, closed his eyes briefly. ”I am sorry, Gloriana. Please, I cannot say why at the moment, but please do not question me. When I can, I will tell you more. For your own safety, and that of the child.“

        She opened her mouth to respond, then sighed. ”Very well, Master. One request?“

        He looked as if he was going to refuse but said, ”Very well.“

        ”Be careful, Gabriel. I rarely see you worried. You’re scaring me.“

        He gave a small smile and placed his hands over hers, ”Thank you, Little One. I am sorry, I did not wish to scare you. You have always been one of the most perceptive of my charges. I have never regretted having you under my wing.“

        She blushed a bit. ”Thank you. I have never made a secret of how much I learned from you.“

        He smiled. ”Be vigilant, as I know you always are.“

        She nodded. ”As always. Please let me know when you know more.“

        ”If I can. It may be some time before you see me again.“ She nodded again. ”Take care.“ With that, he was gone. She blinked away the faint after image that always followed his departure.

        She stood, watching the spot he vacated for a few moments, her mind going over the possibilities. None of them good. She shook her head, clearing out the jumble of thoughts. If things were as bad as Gabriel hinted at, she needed to be extra careful.

        ”More careful than ever, I imagine,“ she said to herself darkly.

        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...