Drama

“Okay, that may very well be the oddest news report I’ve seen.”
“Worse, I cannot find it on the actual news sites.”
Hitomi made a noise, “Yeah, just on social video sites. I smell cover up.”
“Why? The news report wasn’t anything special. The reporter was more bemused than anything.”
“Yeah. I think we’re going to need to check this out. See if you can scrape copy of this report. Oh, and Alana?”
“Hmm?” She stopped and looked back at Hitomi
“Thanks. I know you don’t like these dreams. I also know we… don’t exactly take the supernatural stuff well.”
Alana made a face. “I’m not the biggest fan either. I wasn’t exactly trained to deal with this. I’ll get a copy and do more digging, see what I can come up with.”
“Okay, stop by Buck’s office when you’re done. I’ll start making arrangements.”
Once back in Buck’s office, Hitomi sat and tried to decide what to do. She wasn’t used to having to delegate and would much rather just *do*. She frowned and called Jeremy in.
“What’s up, boss?”
“Stop. Have a seat. I’ve got something for you and Alana to do.”
Jeremy winced, “You know I’d normally never ask this, but can another team go?”
Hitomi blinked in surprise, “Say what?”
Jerry blushed and ducked his head, “See, my girlfriend is flying in from Denver tomorrow,” he trailed off and Hitomi hid a sympathy wince for Alana.
“Okay,” Hitomi sighed, “That’s okay. I’ll go with Alana. Since you’ll be here anyway, you’re in charge while I’m gone”
It was Jeremy’s turn to blink in surprise, “Uhm, I don’t think,” she cut him off with a gesture.
“Who else can I really trust? I can’t send anyone else, because this is Alana’s mission,” Jeremy snapped up straight to that, “and I’m not going to ask you to blow off your girl.” She shook her head. “Besides, I think I’d have a hard time just staying here waiting for word.”
“Like Buck?” She nodded, “Well, I guess I’ll at least have a distraction. I should probably let Alana know.”
“No, it’s okay. I’ll take care of it, she’ll be coming by soon anyway,” she kept her voice light, but she thought the last think Alana needed was to hear this from Jeremy. Poor girl, she thought.
“Oh, okay.” He paused and looked down, “Uhm, please don’t think I’m a coward.” Hitomi looked at him, he looked like he was almost in physical pain. “I know I should have said something a while ago. I just didn’t want to hurt Alana, she’s like a sister,” he paused again.
“And you didn’t know how to put it into words,” he nodded. “You’re not a coward, but you must know this is going to be a shock. I don’t think anyone knew you had a girlfriend.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah. Look, Jerry, you’re young. Do yourself a favor and be more honest with whoever your girlfriend is.” She smiled at him, “I’ll try and smooth things over as best I can.”
He nodded, looking almost in tears and turned to leave, and almost ran right into Alana. “Oh, uh, hi.”
“Hey Jerry, you okay?”
“Oh, yeah. We’ll, uh, talk later. See you. Thanks, Hitomi.”
Alana watched him leave, puzzled. “What was that about?”
Hitomi took a bracing breath, “Ah, close the door. And you might want to sit down…”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...