All's Well. . .

The doctor and nurses from the hospital made the flight back home as comfortable as they could for Alana, who was still a bit weak, which was to be expected. Even though she tried to hide it, Alana could almost feel the guilt coming off of Hitomi. The few times she attempted to broach the subject, Hitomi would just apologize profusely, so she stopped bringing it up. Her doctor spent some of the flight going over a basic therapy regimen and promised to talk with the institute’s doctor about it.
When they landed, a helicopter was waiting to fly them to the institute. The doctor from Chicago briefed Doctor Conner from the institute about Alana’s situation and the therapy plan. Conner clucked a bit over Alana and made sure she was comfortable. Once the on-loan nurses and doctor were shuttled back to the airport, Jeremy wandered in, trailed by a slight woman, who he introduced as his girlfriend Dana.
Alana was actually grateful for the bullet wound for an excuse to limit the visit, but despite everything, she found it very hard not to like the girl. After a few minutes, she excused herself and left Jerry with Hitomi and Alana. Things had been uneventful at home, he told them and gratefully gave up being in charge. Excusing herself on the pretense of looking things over, Hitomi left Jerry and Alana alone.
“She’s nice. I like her.”
“Yeah, me too. Strangely enough.” He smiled, “Look, I’m sorry I was too chicken to tell you before. I’ve never been good at talking about relationships. Even meeting Dana was an accident.”
“At least you’re consistent. You didn’t tell anyone else either.” She held up a hand to stave off the guilty look, “It’s actually okay. I could have been a bit less cowardly myself and just outright asked you at one point. But I didn’t. Mooning over you all this time was a bit silly, and I’m sure was a little uncomfortable for you.”
He ducked his head uncomfortably, “A little, but you’d know I was lying if I didn’t say it was flattering, too. You’re an older women, beautiful, and honestly, I kind of thought you were out of my league. The idea of you liking me? Was a bit of an ego boost. It really didn’t help that once we started partnering, I respected you for your brains and skills. Eventually, the thought of telling you about Dana got to be more than a bit intimidating.”
That made Alana laugh, “Wow, me, intimidating? That’s a first.”
“Oh come on. You’re almost twenty year old and have three degrees. You’re much smarter than I am. I’ve just got some mechanical ability.”
She shook her head. “Come on.”
“I’m serious. Beyond all that, you’re someone I’ve been proud to call my friend. I really didn’t want to do anything to hurt that.”
“Jeremy…”
They talked for a while more, both feeling like weights had been lifted from them. Alana’s shoulder even felt better, which she knew was all in her head, but she welcomed it nonetheless. He eventually excused himself, wanted to get back to Dana. She smiled and asked him to tell her it was nice to meet her. He agreed then hurried out, past Hitomi, who was coming back in.
“Sorted things out, then?”
“Yeah,” Alana nodded. “Yeah, we did. More than I expected. I kinda like her. She’s spunky.”
Hitomi laughed, “She’d have to be, to keep up with him. Buck and C.J. are coming back next week. They were both a bit worried about you, but said you were in good hands with me, “ she ducked her head and blushed, which made Alana smirk, “and that anything you need, you’ll get. For me, I’m going to be here, and take care of you. I’ll make it up to you.”
“Hitomi, I told you there’s nothing to make up!”
“Quiet you. Let me do this. Jeremy is busy with his girl, and things are going to be relatively quiet. I need to do this.”
Alana opened her mouth to protest but closed it at Hitomi’s expression. “Alright. But don’t obsess over it. You take care of yourself, too.”
Hitomi nodded. “I’ll promise that.” She gave Alana’s had a squeeze. “Now get some rest. I need to grab a computer and write up the report.” She grimaced, “Fun, fun, yeah?”
Alana smiled, “Always.”
“Right.” Hitomi headed back towards the door, but stopped. “Oh, I almost forgot.” She walked over. “Patrick Joop sent this to the hospital while you were out. I guess it was damaged when March shot you.” She put the small toy on the bed table, it was the little man in coveralls holding the Mona Lisa. There toy’s head was gone.
Alana laughed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...