Interlude

The temple was a simple building. A hybrid of various pyramidal style temples around the world. Both inside and outside the temple was simple and unadorned, aside from torches and large stone vessels that contained roaring bonfires inside the large central chamber. In the center was a stone alter where a lone man was standing.
He wore simple blue robes, and was bald. Kneeling in benediction in front of a fiery apparition of a jackal-headed being. The being spoke in a voice felt rather than heard. “I expect you will be able to accomplish more than Hem-Netjer Tepey?”
“Yes, my lord.”
“I trust you will not work at betrayal, as Hem-Netjer Tepey did.” That was not a question.
“Never, my lord.”
“Very well. The task is yours Oord. I do not wish to tell my Lord Anubis of yet another failed acolyte.”
“Thank you, my lord. I will not disappoint.”
“No. You won’t. You will also keep to the shadows. Do not let hubris lure into challenging this world’s champions. To do so risks defeat, and alerting the other pantheons.”
“I promise, my lord.”
The apparition flamed brightly then quickly dissipated. Oord gestured to the side, and a hooded figure approached. “Check our operations. Make sure no one oversteps. I want everything we do to be as undetectable as possible.”
“Of course Brother Oord.”
“Also,” Oord looked thoughtful, “Contact Mr. Irwin. I have not heard from him since Chicago, and I wish to know if he was successful.”
“I will let you know as soon as I contact him, Brother.”
“Very good.” He gestured vaguely, and the hooded acolyte left the temple. Oord stood and ran his long fingers over his bald head. He eyes the blackened alter with worry. He had waited for this opportunity to prove himself to Anubis for a long time, longer than his apparent age would indicate. He also knew that Tepey had waited a long time as well. What had driven him to betrayal? Had he betrayed The Cause? He’d never know, in any case. He drew himself to his full six foot height and resolved to do what he needed.
He also resolved to find a way to protect himself, just in case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...