Breakfast Chat

In her usual way CJ watched as she ate breakfast. Her Buck and her parents taught her to observe. How else can you formulate a strategy to get out of the close scrapes she found herself in more often than she cared to remember. True, at breakfast she should feel at ease enough to relax, but it was second nature by now. Today, as with the last few mornings, her practiced eye fell on her two companions off the table.
Hitomi had been CJ’s best friend for over a decade now. Partners in adventure for five. CJ thought of her as a sister, as much as she thought of Buck as a father. The complication came in when Hitomi had deep feelings for CJ. Feelings that CJ just wasn’t able to reciprocate. It added a bit of strain, but both knew the score. Another monkey wrench was CJ’s new and growing relationship with Mitchell. As much as she hid it, CJ saw the slight thread of jealousy.
That was where her second companion came in. Alana had been with them for three years. Several months ago while CJ and Buck were at the United Nations, Alana and Hitomi went out to solve a mystery. Alana was shot and Hitomi blamed herself. Which was silly. Even Alana said so, and she was a psychologist. Still, Hitomi insisted on helping her as much as possible. They had grown quite close. More than CJ would have thought, even after the whole this with Jeremy.
CJ grimaced. Jeremy was a good kid. But, he never acknowledged that he knew Alana was holding a torch for him. All the while he had a girlfriend in Denver. Good kid, but doesn’t really know how to handle people.
“Hey!” Hitomi snapped her fingers a couple times, “Earth to Siege, Earth to Siege!” Hitomi was grinning, and Alana was stifling a giggle.
CJ blinked a couple of times, “Hmm?”
“I asked what you were up to today?”
“Oh, sorry. Lost in thought.” She shrugged. “Probably go over a few things with Buck to finish setting up the archeology lab. I promised him the last of the equipment lists.”
Hitomi nodded. “Cool. When that’s all done, I’d like to snoop around. Especially some more of the stuff you guys pulled from that tomb.”
“Right, you find anything about the mish-mash of languages, CJ?”
“Not yet Alana. Mitchell is stumped. So is Buck, and he’s usually got a place to start.”
“Well, let me know if I can help, partner. For now though, I promised Watkins I’d help do a miniaturization demo in his class with my utility belt.”
CJ raised a brow, “Have fun. How big is the class?”
Hitomi shrugged and she stood up, “About forty now, I think. There’s more classes every year.”
CJ nodded, “Good. I’m glad it’s working. This has been Buck’s baby to get this academy started.”
“You bet. I’ll tell Watkins you said hi.” She grabbed an apple, “Later CJ, Alana.” She grinned and walked away towards the academy rooms.
“Well, I should go too. I have profiles to work up for Buck. He wants to know which of the older kids we could recruit when they get a bit older.” Alana smiled. “His excitement for this is rather infectious, isn’t it?”
“His excitement usually is. How’s the shoulder?”
“Oh, mostly healed, I should think. It twinges now and then. That medical laser does work wonders.”
“Good.” CJ raised her eyebrows a bit, “If Hitomi his bothering you, I can talk to her.” She watched Alana blush heavily.
“Oh, no, it’s okay. She’s been a big help. I think I’ve managed to convince her to not feel guilty anymore.” She paused and lowered her voice, “Plus, I rather enjoy her company.”
CJ gave a half smile, a little triumphant that she had seen it. “Okay. Just checking.” She stood up, Alana did the same. “I’d better finish that report. I think Mitchell is chomping at the bit for the equipment.”
“Oh, I’ll bet. How’s that going, by the way?”
This time CJ blushed, though she half expected the question, “Good. We go out a couple times a week. Its fun.” She blushed a bit harder.
Alana giggled, her eyes sparkling, “Well, any time you want to talk, I’m here.”
CJ smiled, “Sure. Thanks Alana. I’ll see you later.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...