A Little Legwork - Part I

“Okay, so what’s eating you Alana?”

“What? Nothing.”

“Oh come on.” They were walking downtown towards the office of one of their private eye contacts. Alana had been looking long in the face since they left. “I think I know you well enough by now. Come on. Cough it up.”

Alana looked as if she was going to protest, but sighed and stopped. “Jerry still refuses to look me in the eye and keeps making excuses to not go on runs with me.”

Hitomi winced. “I thought you guys were doing okay. I mean he gave me the message when we were at the dig site.”

Alana’s mouth twisted, and she looked like she wanted to cry. “I asked him to give you the message, and he just mumbled something and turned away.”

“Geeze. It’s been six months. That boy needs some therapy.”

Alana shook her head. “I think it’s more than that. I’m not sure he can deal with me anymore. I think he pulled himself apart.”

“What? How? He pulled a bonehead move, sure, but you got over it.”

“I think that might be part of the point, Hitomi. I think he expected and wanted me to hate him.”

“That’s insane.”

Alana shrugged, “I agree. However, he can’t reconcile that I can still like him. He’s retreated and spends most of his time with his girl.”

“Someone needs to talk to that boy.”

“No, he needs to work it out on his own. Unfortunately, it leaves me without a run partner.”

“Which is why you asked me to come along.”

“That and I enjoy your company. Still and all, it hurts a bit, because he is my friend and, well, I do still love him. In a different way, I suppose, than before, but those feelings just don’t go away.”

“Preaching to the choir, girl. Have you told Buck?”

She nodded, “Buck was sympathetic, as usual. He said he’s going to send the four of us out next run. If it seems more trouble than it’s worth,” she broke off and shrugged.

“Sorry, hon. That sucks.”

“Yes it does. But, life goes on, I suppose. I’m not going to stop trying to talk with him.”

“Good luck with that. It’s tough not to let feelings get in the way. But it’s worth it, to keep a good friend.” She looked at Alana and smiled. Alana smiled back, shyly. They started walking again, a little slower. She was hardly one to pick up on subtlety, but she was getting very comfortable being around Alana, and thought her friend felt the same way. She wasn’t really sure what to do about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We lost one of our cats today.

Investigations

You don't tug on Superman's cape...